Andrew hired a seasoned mentor who had previous success with code language and approvals and together, they created a comprehensive code appendix that would allow for the legal construction of tiny houses used as a primary residence in the United States.
This is a BIG DEAL and will have a HUGE IMPACT on the construction of tiny houses all over the US.
What does this mean for tiny house folks?
- It means that people who are paying high rents or mortgages could get out from under that burden.
- It means that people who have lost their homes and are living on the street could have a dignified place to live.
- It means that college students who are graduating with huge amounts of debt could afford a home to start themselves out on the right foot.
- It means that retirees can comfortably and legally live in a smaller, more manageable footprint.
- And for all of us building tiny houses, it means that we will have a guidepost to building safe and healthy homes with a certificate of occupancy at the end of that road.
Tiny House Depot has made a small contribution to Andrew's efforts to secure this important code change. They are conducting a gofundme campaign to raise funds for:
1. Paying the fees for the work of code writer Martin Hammer. He has a lot of experience in creating code and was co-author on the proposal that got straw bale construction into the 2015 IRC. Martin worked on this proposal with Andrew for two months, so many, many hours went into this effort.
2. Travel costs to Kansas City, MO where Andrew and Martin will speak in support of the proposal. They will have all of the proposal "co-commenters" and a few other speakers present at the hearings. Paying all of the speakers' way will make it possible for more of them to attend, which will, in turn, give the proposal a better chance of approval.
THE HEARINGS ARE COMING UP FAST!
The upcoming hearings are in Kansas City, MO from October 21-24, so having funds in place to buy airline tickets is a pressing issue.
We are a large community of passionate people. Even a seemingly small donation of $10 or $20 multiplies fast, and can go a long way.
We hope that you will join Tiny House Depot in supporting this powerful effort to make housing affordable in the US once again.
To donate: https://www.gofundme.com/TinyHouseCodes